Follow ROUTES on an exciting acquaintance with mushroom "hunting", a unique look at the historical Ancient Messina and a taste experience between the local spoon sweets and traditional pasta recipes.
Part 1: Mushroom "hunting" – Cultivation and by-products information
"There would be no forest if there were no mushrooms." Mushrooms are the definition of diversity and great variety.
Being informed and educated about mushrooms' nutritional and medicinal benefits will help you overcome any fears surrounding them.
If you are lucky on your walk, you will find enough mushrooms and be able to taste what you have collected in the end. If not... That's okay! It will be a beautiful hike in nature.
Part 2: Ancient Messina – Historical Tour
The group will continue its route to the historic Ancient Messina. Its wealth and history will take you to another era!
Epaminondas liberated Messenia in 370 - 369 BC. from the Spartan influence and built the capital of the free Messenians at the foothills of Ithome.
The city was named after the mythical queen Messina, daughter of the king of Argos, Triopas. The town remained a cultural centre (perhaps a political one) during the Roman years and at least until the end of the 4th century AD. In 365, the great earthquake of the Eastern Mediterranean probably had significant effects on Messina as well. At the same time, in 395, the invasion of the Goths, King Alaric I, dealt the decisive blow to the city.
A walk among the findings will take you back to that time, and if you let your imagination run wild, the well-preserved sights will make you go back in time for a few minutes.
Part 3: Taste experience of local spoon sweets and traditional pasta.
You often find the most delicious local products in the most unlikely parts of the city you visit, where you don't imagine they might exist...
On this journey, the tastes you will acquire will be varied and exciting! You will learn the recipe for the local pasta of Messenia and have the opportunity to try it.
The local producers deal with their products with passion and love, and the recipes passed down from generation to generation keep tradition and quality at high levels.
To make your visit even more memorable, below you will find some tips:
- Wear comfortable shoes and a hat, since you will spend much time outdoors.
- Inform the team leaders of any dietary particularities you have (e.g. if you are strictly vegetarian or not, if you are vegetarian but also eat fish or seafood, etc.)
- Inform the agency about any form of allergy (food allergy, bee allergy, etc.)
Contact them to request a price for:
- Large groups of 10-17 people
- Small, private groups of 7-10 people
- Over 17 people.
- For transportation services or to organise your holidays with complete packages that include: accommodation-meals-tour-activities-movement-entertainment.
*With an overnight stay if you wish and the cruise added in the summer months, the price changes accordingly, as well as on the occasion of tasting premium wines (in addition to the simple ones) or, instead, the tasting of ONLY premium ones.
The price includes the following:
- Transportation and the guided tour
- Tickets to historical sites
- Tasting of Greek wines with accompanying dishes
- All taxes
Not included in the price:
- Full meal (only on request and with extra charge)
- Personal shopping from local stores (optional)
- Accommodation for one night outside the city
- Tips (optional)
- Cruise (extra during the summer months)
- Extra transfer services upon request and at an extra charge
- The tour takes place in the mornings, Monday – Saturday, except Sundays and public holidays.
- Also, there can be a continuation after the organised route with an afternoon walk in the city, dinner in local shops and entertainment. Please inform the agency in time.
- Meeting point and time: outside your accommodation at 8 am.
- Languages: English and Greek. Other languages can be supported for an additional fee.
Reservations & payment
- Reservations: In order to organise your experience in the best way, the reservation and complete payment must be made no later than two days in advance.
- For last-minute requests, please contact the agency via Viber, email, messenger, and Instagram so they can check availability.
- When the booking and transaction are complete, the experience is officially confirmed via email.
- Payments can be made by cash, deposit, or pos.
ROUTES agency reserves the right to postpone the experience due to bad weather conditions or an extraordinary event. If the excursion is postponed, there is no refund. However, by arrangement, the experience can be carried out on the next available date.
For cancellations by guests, there is no refund regardless of the cancellation date, but they can choose the next available date.
Refunds are not supported.
ROUTES aims to provide visitors - travellers with a high-level, personalised, and authentic experience of the place, far exceeding their expectations. They aim to offer the experience of agritourism to every generation, nationality, and race, the beauty of nature and the secrets of our local products through organised routes. The history and tradition of our place, the beauty of the landscapes and the unique flavours are images that want to be engraved in every memory. This way you will enjoy fantastic days with the organisers, and at the end, you will say goodbye as friends!