

The mountain village of Lantzounato or Latzunato is 28 km from Kyparissia and has about 25 permanent residents. The village used to be known as Latsunaton. In ancient times, the settlement area was part of Nestor’s kingdom in ancient Pylos. At the time of the Venetian occupation, it was referred to as Lanzonatu, while in 1700, in the Grimani census, it was referred to as Lassonatu.
The visitor here can see the traditional houses, as well as the church of Panagia. At a short distance from the village (at the top of a rock), the castle of Saflaouros, also known as the castle of Lantzounatos, dominates the area.