According to historical sources, the Holy Church of Panagia Vlacherna was built before 1820 and is the fourth in the same place. The first church was already there before 1204 when the Franks arrived in Filiatra. They turned it into a Catholic one. After the departure of the Franks, it was converted again into an Orthodox church or a new one was built (1500-1600). In 1747 the Monastery of Vlacherna was placed in the Stavropegic monasteries, and since then, it has been directly attached to the Ecumenical Patriarchate.
The chapel of Panagia Vlacherna is today an archaeological site and is protected by the IRS of Byzantine Antiquities.