Follow the ROUTES for an experience around the history of Pylos and an exciting route in vine cultivation and the highly distinguished wine varieties of the region.
Part 1: Arrival at the castle of Pylos - Guided tour of the site
Niokastro Navarino is a separate Ottoman castle-fortress located in Pylos, southwest of Messenia. You will have the opportunity to see its history and architecture through the walls as well as the archaeological findings that have been preserved to this day.
Part 2: Sfaktiria Island – Cruise to the most historic island of the Mediterranean
In the summer months, the group's route continues with a guided tour to the island of Sfaktiria. Sfaktiria is a rocky island of Messenia in the southern Ionian Sea, specifically near Pylos, in front of its natural harbour, as a breakwater. It occupies a strategic position in one of Greece's largest natural ports, especially the Peloponnese. This fact contributed to the development of several historical events in the area, such as war conflicts during ancient times and during the Turkish occupation.
– Swim in crystal clear turquoise waters.
– Dive off the boat! Take a dip (or two) in a variety of stunning locations.
– Visit monuments... Immerse yourself in history!
– Check out beautiful underwater landscapes, including Mediterranean fish species, sea turtles and colourful starfish. With a bit of luck, you might even spot some dolphins!
Part 3: Visit King Nestor's palace
Browse the palace's findings, the best preserved Mycenaean palace in Greece. The palace was built by King Nestor, son of Nileas, who figures prominently in the Homeric epics in the 13th century BC. Nestor led Pylos to the Trojan War with 90 ships.
Part 4: Seminar and wine tasting
The flavours of the wines you will taste will travel your palate, and you will learn important things about the cultivation of the vineyards until production and bottling.
Messenia, an important vineyard since ancient times, continues its tradition and improves vine cultivation. The Messenian winegrowers produce exquisite grapes with passion, from which the high-quality Messenian wines come.
In Messenia, mainly white (Fileri, Assyrtiko, Roditis, Chardonnay, Ugni Blanc) and red varieties (Fokiano, Mandilaria, Carignan, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Syrah) are cultivated, which have been perfectly cultivated in the area, at an altitude above 70 metres.
- Possibility of tasting simple wines
- Possibility of tasting premium wines
* If you wish to try both simple and premium wines, please let the agency know so that the corresponding fee can be charged.
Part 5: Walk in paved Gialova
The route ends with a beautiful walk to the seaside Gialova to relax and discuss what you saw and learned. You can sit for an afternoon Greek coffee, ice cream or whatever else you want.
*In the case of a unanimous decision of the group for an overnight stay at a nearby local hotel, the walk to Gialova will take place in the evening for food and drinks, and in the afternoon, they will visit the famous beach of Voidikoilia for a swim in its deep blue waters.
**For the overnight stay and the best service available, please let the agency know a few days in advance.
To make your visit even more memorable, below you will find some tips:
- Wear comfortable shoes and a hat, since you will spend much time outdoors.
- Inform the team leaders of any dietary particularities you have (e.g. if you are strictly vegetarian or not, if you are vegetarian but also eat fish or seafood, etc.)
- Inform the agency about any form of allergy (food allergy, bee allergy, etc.)
Contact them to request a price for:
- Large groups of 10-17 people
- Small, private groups of 7-10 people
- Over 17 people.
- For transportation services or to organise your holidays with complete packages that include: accommodation-meals-tour-activities-movement-entertainment.
*With an overnight stay if you wish and the cruise added in the summer months, the price changes accordingly, as well as on the occasion of tasting premium wines (in addition to the simple ones) or, instead, the tasting of ONLY premium ones.
The price includes the following:
- Transportation and the guided tour
- Tickets to historical sites
- Tasting of Greek wines with accompanying dishes
- All taxes
Not included in the price:
- Full meal (only on request and with extra charge)
- Personal shopping from local stores (optional)
- Accommodation for one night outside the city
- Tips (optional)
- Cruise (extra during the summer months)
- Extra transfer services upon request and at an extra charge
- The tour takes place in the mornings, Monday – Saturday, except Sundays and public holidays.
- Also, there can be a continuation after the organised route with an afternoon walk in the city, dinner in local shops and entertainment. Please inform the agency in time.
- Meeting point and time: outside your accommodation at 8 am.
- Languages: English and Greek. Other languages can be supported for an additional fee.
Reservations & payment
- Reservations: In order to organise your experience in the best way, the reservation and complete payment must be made no later than two days in advance.
- For last-minute requests, please contact the agency via Viber, email, messenger, and Instagram so they can check availability.
- When the booking and transaction are complete, the experience is officially confirmed via email.
- Payments can be made by cash, deposit, or pos.
ROUTES agency reserves the right to postpone the experience due to bad weather conditions or an extraordinary event. If the excursion is postponed, there is no refund. However, by arrangement, the experience can be carried out on the next available date.
For cancellations by guests, there is no refund regardless of the cancellation date, but they can choose the next available date.
Refunds are not supported.
ROUTES aims to provide visitors - travellers with a high-level, personalised, and authentic experience of the place far exceeding their expectations. They aim to offer the experience of agritourism to every generation, nationality, and race, the beauty of nature and the secrets of our local products through organised routes. The history and tradition of our place, the beauty of the landscapes and the unique flavours are images that want to be engraved in every memory. This way you will enjoy fantastic days with the organisers, and at the end, you will say goodbye as friends!