Glyfada, formerly referred to as Karamanolis, is a semi-mountainous settlement near Pylos and administratively belongs to the Municipality of Pylos - Nestoros, in the Messinia Prefecture.
The village has a long history following the history of Messinia, Methoni and the greater Pylia area. The area of the settlement, in antiquity, was part of the kingdom of Nestor, the kingdom of ancient Pylos.
Second Turkish occupation
After 1715, when the Turks expelled the Venetians from Moria and came back, they renamed Barony of Methoni to Vilaeti of Arcadia. During the period that Pylia was under the wider Ottoman occupation (1715-1821), the village was subjected to Kaza Navarinou according to the publication of the American School of Classical Studies in Athens entitled “A Historical and Economic Geography of Ottoman Greece: The Southwestern Morea in the 18th Century”, since, after the Turks had recaptured the areas of Moria, the Navarino area, that is Pylia, was another part of the Ottoman deftering. The area of Karamanolis, as well as the village of Kato Papoulias, was referred to in Ottoman Turkish as Papla or Aga.
The settlement, according to the 2011 census, has 219 permanent residents, who are mainly engaged in various agricultural activities.