

The village of Koryfasio is 9 km from Chora and 15 km from Pylos. Korifasio has a long history that follows the history of Messinia. In ancient times, it was part of the kingdom of Nestor. A few hundred meters below the village is the vaulted tomb of "Osman Aga", also known as the vaulted tomb of Koryfasio, which dates back to around 1700 BC.
During the Turkish occupation, the name of the village was Osman Aga or Osmanaga. The modern name was given in 1915 based on an honorary reference to the name of the homonymous cape west of the village and, placed by researchers, the ancient settlement of Korifasion. This ancient settlement, perhaps, is also identified with Ancient Pylos. Nearby was the temple of Goddess Koryfasia Athena. Many ancient objects have been found in the wider area of the village without any systematic excavation.