Kato Verga is situated 8 kilometers from Kalamata, at an altitude of 211 meters. It has a beautiful view to the Messinian Gulf and intense night life. The old province of Selitsa included Ano and Kato Verga, as well as, the beach of Verga.
At Kato Verga, the “Battle of Verga” took place in 1826, from the 21st till the 24th of June. That was the first defeat for the Turk-Egyptian troops of Ibrahim. The renaming of Selitsa to Kato Verga occurred in 1956, in memory of the historical battle. “Verga” was a drywall sconce, 1000 meters long and 2 meters high which from above looked like a rod, (the branch of a tree). The Greek word for that is “verga”- βέργα. Today, many parts of that wall are still preserved, starting from Kato Verga and reaching the sea. There, the visitor can visit the monument of “the warrior of Mani”.
At Kato Verga, the church of the Annunciation of Virgin Mary is, also, worth visiting, where, each year, there are celebrations which take place in order to honor the old battle.