Discover the richness and inventiveness of Greek cuisine!
Lock all the flavours of Greece deep in your heart through a one-of-a-kind 4-hour food tour experience in Kalamata. Learn how to prepare traditional local recipes just like a Greek mama and taste more than 20 delicious Messinian homemade products! We assure you won't have to worry about lunch by the end of this tour.
You will visit the historic centre of one of the most beautiful coastal cities of the Peloponnese: Kalamata.
The place is known for its exquisite olive oil and its world-famous black Kalamata olives. However, the city has so much more to offer and this tour will help you uncover its hidden gems.
The tour is available Monday to Saturday all year round either in the mornings or in the afternoons. Sundays and official holidays are excluded.
Visit local family-owned food and pastry shops, learn old stories and feel the authenticity of the locals.
Part 1: Meeting Point
Maria, our passionate food lover, will be waiting for you at the beautiful central square of Kalamata, Vasileos Konstantinou Square, in front of the statues of the Messinian war heroes of 1821.
You’ll set off on your gastronomic experience with a leisurely stroll around the streets of this magnificent coastal city.
Part 2: Visit to traditional Workshop and tasting of local home-made products
Many times, you can find the tastiest local products in the most unlikely places of a town you visit, where you’d never think to look. Together we’ll discover a traditional Workshop, literally hidden in the tiny alleys of the town.
With a reputation that precedes it, not just in Greece, but also in delis abroad for its quality home-made Messinian products, it stays true to its authentic ancestral recipes, preparing two of the most iconic local dishes daily.
The local women working at the Workshop will teach how to make one of the oldest dishes of Messinia and Mani, using the simplest of ingredients, flour and olive oil. Then you’ll get to see how the second delectable local recipe is made, full of aromas, flavour and lots of honey!
And while enjoying this staple of the Spartan warriors and satisfying your sweet tooth in the healthiest of manners, you’ll also learn about its long history and inextricable link to the local tradition.
Part 3: Tasting of Spoon Sweets, Corinthian Raisins and Healthy Local Delicacies
Ascending towards the historic centre of Kalamata, you’ll marvel at the two-storey neo-Classical buildings and discover this city’s rich past, as well as the long history of ancient and more contemporary Greek gastronomy.
Upon entering the shop, the aroma of the exquisite herbs and spices wafting through the air will transport you to the top of Mt. Taygetos, the local mountain.
You’ll get to taste homemade spoon sweets, local nuts and other products of the Messinian land, discovering their nutritional value and their importance in a well-balanced diet.
Part 4: Greek Coffee Tasting at Local Coffee Grinding Shop
It’s time for your morning coffee! And what’s better than a hot traditional Greek coffee prepared by Giorgos, who’ll reveal the secrets to its proper preparation. You’ll find out all about the origins of this type of coffee, how it got its name and how it has become a part of the Greek tradition and temperament.
Have you ever heard about the most popular Greek coffee custom? Don’t worry, you’ll find out soon and you’ll be delightfully surprised.
Find out more about this amazing Food experience and book your tour in https://www.mamasflavours.gr/MAMAS-TOURS/traditional-food-tour-olive-oil-tasting-in-kalamata-messinia-1
To make your visit even more memorable, here are some tips:
- Wear comfortable shoes and a hat, as you’ll spend quite a bit of time outdoors.
- Notify us of any special dietary needs (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, flexitarian, etc.)
- Notify us of any allergies (e.g. food allergies, allergies to bees, etc.)
Small semi-private groups of 5-8 people: 65,00€ / per person
Contact us to request a price:
- For individual and family bookings.
- For private tours with less than 5 participants.
- For transfer services or organize your tour and transfer from Athens city.
We can also design and provide private tailor-made tours and multi-day tours in the region of Peloponnese and all over Greece upon request.
Drop us a line at [email protected] and together we’ll come up with a tailor-made gastronomic experience just for you!
Included in the price
- Local treats / bottle of water
- Tour leader
- Public Liability insurance
- All taxes
Excluded from the price
- Personal purchases from local shops (optional)
- Tips & gratuities (optional)
- Transfer (optional)
- The duration of the Food Tour can be tailored to individual needs of each visitor.
- The traditional workshop in Part 2 is closed on Saturdays so the tasting is made to another stop of the Food tour.
- You can choose any or our extra gastronomic activities or even combine it with the main Food Tour.
- Olive oil tasting may be combined with a visit to an Olive oil mill in Kalamata city upon request.
- Availability: Food tour is available from Monday to Saturday, excluding Sundays and official holidays. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons after coordination.
- Departure time: 09:00 a.m.
- Languages: English & Greek. Other languages can be provided at an extra charge.
- Family friendly.
- Wheelchair accessible 80%.
Mama’s flavours reserves the right to postpone or cancel the activity due to bad weather. If the tour is cancelled, you may choose an alternative date or request a full refund.
Mama’s flavours Health Measures & Guidelines for Travelers & Partners
Please read and send us by email the document below before your booking.
Mama’s flavours is committed to caring for the health and well-being of its travelers and its partners. The following text specifies necessary health measures and guidelines that must be followed by all travelers and Mama’s flavours partners…Click here