ROUTES - "SWEET OIL MYSTERY"
Follow ROUTES for an introduction to the products and the cultivation of the Prickly Pear with its beneficial properties, a revelation of the preparation of the local traditional sweet "Diples" where you will have the opportunity to taste it, a historical review of local traditional clothing and a great seminar combined with olive oil tasting and more information on olive cultivation.
Part 1: Getting to know the products and the cultivation of the prickly pear.
The prickly pear is an ancient species of cactus that has long been domesticated and is an essential resource in agricultural crop economies. It is preventively and therapeutically used for various diseases of the human body.
Its taste does not remind anything of the traditional fig: the prickly pear has a softer taste, one might say "unique"! If you haven't tried it, here's your chance. The best time to taste them is from August to October.
After the group has tried various prickly pear products and after being informed by the experts about this product that only grows in Greece and Cyprus, there will be an opportunity to ask any questions.
Part 2: Revealing the preparation of the traditional dessert "Diples"
Kalamata and Mani have a long tradition of preparing "diples". "Diples" were initially said to be cooked to celebrate a joyful event which the locals wished to be repeated, as our people say, to "fold" and good things to come again. So according to local tradition, "diples" were the dessert usually served at engagements, weddings, births and baptisms. In Mani, the custom of making "diples" before the wedding ceremony continues. On the eve of the wedding, the women usually gather early in the morning to prepare them while singing until the evening.
Over the years, the custom spread and "diples" became the traditional New Year's and Christmas dessert. It is even said that the main body that makes the "diples" symbolises Christ's infancy, and the honey represents the well-being, luck and creation we want the new year to bring us.
If you wish, you can try to make one yourself with the help of the person in charge.
Part 3: A historical look at traditional clothing
It is an enjoyable walk through the clothing museum, with about 25,000 objects, mainly authentic local clothes and jewellery from the Greek area, which includes in its collections.
"The magical possibilities of lighting complement the abstract image. This intangible means demarcates space and time, convey emotions, and create a certain atmosphere. One has the feeling that everything is in the light."
Part 4: Seminar and oil tasting
Messenia is famous for its oil, as it is an area rich in olive cultivation. We know that during the Mycenaean period, 3,200 - 3,600 years ago, in Messenia, oil was already one of the top products of the agricultural economy of the time.
Our country is the 3rd largest olive-producing country globally, with an average production of 300,000 tons annually. In Messenia, two main olive varieties are cultivated with great success: Kalamon and Koroneiki.
The oil's aroma, taste and "spiciness" are evaluated in olive oil tasting. We can also perceive the defects found in lower-quality olive oils.
The quality of the olive oil can be seen by the smell and taste and not by the colour, as most people mistakenly believe.
At the end of this route, the culinary experience you will get, combined with the tradition through the historical costumes you will see, will leave a sweet note in your soul that you will cherish as a unique experience forever.
To make your visit even more memorable, below you will find some tips:
- Wear comfortable shoes and a hat, since you will spend much time outdoors.
- Inform the team leaders of any dietary particularities you have (e.g. if you are strictly vegetarian or not, if you are vegetarian but also eat fish or seafood, etc.)
- Inform the agency about any form of allergy (food allergy, bee allergy, etc.)
Contact them to request a price for:
- Large groups of 10-17 people
- Small, private groups of 7-10 people
- Over 17 people.
- For transportation services or to organise your holidays with complete packages that include: accommodation-meals-tour-activities-movement-entertainment.
*With an overnight stay if you wish and the cruise added in the summer months, the price changes accordingly, as well as on the occasion of tasting premium wines (in addition to the simple ones) or, instead, the tasting of ONLY premium ones.
The price includes the following:
- Transportation and the guided tour
- Οlive oil tasting with accompanying dishes
- All taxes
Not included in the price:
- Full meal (only on request and with extra charge)
- Personal shopping from local stores (optional)
- Accommodation for one night outside the city
- Tips (optional)
- Cruise (extra during the summer months)
- Extra transfer services upon request and at an extra charge
- The tour takes place in the mornings, Monday – Saturday, except Sundays and public holidays.
- Also, there can be a continuation after the organised route with an afternoon walk in the city, dinner in local shops and entertainment. Please inform the agency in time.
- Meeting point and time: outside your accommodation at 8 am.
- Languages: English and Greek. Other languages can be supported for an additional fee.
Reservations & payment
- Reservations: In order to organise your experience in the best way, the reservation and complete payment must be made no later than two days in advance.
- For last-minute requests, please contact the agency via Viber, email, messenger, and Instagram so they can check availability.
- When the booking and transaction are complete, the experience is officially confirmed via email.
- Payments can be made by cash, deposit, or pos.
ROUTES agency reserves the right to postpone the experience due to bad weather conditions or an extraordinary event. If the excursion is postponed, there is no refund. However, by arrangement, the experience can be carried out on the next available date.
For cancellations by guests, there is no refund regardless of the cancellation date, but they can choose the next available date.
Refunds are not supported.
ROUTES aims to provide visitors - travellers with a high-level, personalised, and authentic experience of the place far exceeding their expectations. They aim to offer the experience of agritourism to every generation, nationality, and race, the beauty of nature and the secrets of our local products through organised routes. The history and tradition of our place, the beauty of the landscapes and the unique flavours are images that want to be engraved in every memory. This way you will enjoy fantastic days with the organisers, and at the end, you will say goodbye as friends!