The Philharmonic of the Municipality of Kalamata, a musical and cultural organisation and a core of artistic activity, was founded in 1890 under the name "Philharmonic Society of Kalamata" and in 1939, it evolved into a Legal Entity under Public Law, under the direct supervision of the Municipality of Kalamata and with its current name. The activities in which it takes part are parades, religious events and ceremonies in the churches of Kalamata and the wider region and all kinds of ceremonial events. It also organises indoor and outdoor concerts and has been honoured many times for its work and contribution.
The Municipal Philharmonic of Kalamata has partnered with excellent soloists, such as Nikos Moschonas, Pavlos Raptis, Cleo Denardo, etc., while skilled chief musicians have stamped their artistic identity. Among them, in chronological order, are Eugene Mangel, Arlando Polintori, Dimitris Argyriadis, Michalis Papastathopoulos and Dionysios Visvardis.
It has participated in many Philharmonic Festivals and has given concerts in various cities of Greece (New Philadelphia, Lefkada, Corfu, Filiatra, Loutraki). In 1996 it was one of the four philharmonics that participated in the official celebration of the "100 years of the Olympic Games" at the Panathinaikos stadium.
The Municipal Philharmonic of Kalamata has also been active abroad. In 1997 it participated in the March 25th Anniversary celebration in Boston and the summer of 2007 in the International Philharmonic Festival in Camporgianno, Italy.
The purpose of the Legal Entity is:
- The service and promotion of the musical feeling.
- The citizens' entertainment
- The cultivation of musical art and musical sensibility
- The teaching of music in the wind, string and percussion instruments
- The contribution to the more elaborate conduct of national Holidays and events
Artistic Director: Kostas Nikolaeas